Sunday, December 06, 2009

Adagio For Strings

(taken with infra-red camera on Key Biscayne, FL)

Lately, this song by William Orbit called Adagio for Strings has brought much comfort to me (I know it's probably in some movie score, but I can't place it). It's one of those emotional depressing songs that makes your heart feel sorrow. So why has it brought me comfort? Well, I think there's something to be said about going through pain in our lives. Most of the time, with pain comes growth, understanding, loss with some sense of newness. I recently heard that the Japanese symbol for "crisis" is a combination of the symbols for "danger" and "opportunity." I can definitely relate to this. William Orbit's "Adagio for Strings" reminds me of the calms after the storm. When I am overwhelmed by loss, tragedy, or sorrow, I also catch glimpses of hope and revival. New beginnings are offered and a chance to slowly rise from the pain. I don't know if I ever understand the pain completely, but this song helps me to be ok with pain in my life, and then move forward with hope.
While looking for a video of the song, I found it was originally composed by Samuel Barber. Here is a youtube video of the song. Take some time to relax and feel the emotions in this piece. "Digest slowly..."

No comments: