Friday, June 24, 2011

Music

Disclaimer: If you want to scroll down to the local music info section of this blog, instead of listening to my contemplative life thoughts about music, I won't judge. The good stuff is below the microphone pic...

Music has always been extraordinarily fascinating to me. It can change my state of being in a matter of minutes, or even a few words. There are several bands that have had a huge impact on my life: Ryan Adams (as I'm typing I'm watching his music videos on vevo.com), Band Of Horses and Phoenix are a few. Then certain songs, like Barber's Adagio for Strings, or one of my dad's favorites Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony, that can bring an overwhelming sense of emotion.
piano

I'm married to an incredibly talented drummer. I'm so proud of my husband and the bands he's been in over the last decade... the way he's grown as a musician and pursued his passion regardless of the cost. I wouldn't suggest it to most, but it is surely inspiring.
sam at ER center for the  arts

The state of the music industry saddens me, how something so amazing goes unnoticed or unseen because of the lack of money. But maybe that is what pushes people to find that incredible sound, that moves people and expresses what we try so hard to explain with words. I'm thankful for all the musicians out there that contribute with a relentless passion. There may not be any monetary success, but there is a lasting creation that reaches the soul... priceless.
microphone
Time for tips: This summer there are a bunch of awesome shows. I'm hoping to go to KCRW's Summer Nights series tomorrow night in Pasadena, where a band I just discovered recently, Motopony, will be playing. :) Check out the KCRW link to see all the free shows going on this summer.
Telegram has a free show (free before 10pm, starts at 9:30) this Wednesday night at Club Moscow. Bring your best dance suit and get your groove on. Should be a rad show.
There's also free shows going on downtown Friday through Sunday nights at Grand and 4th St.
Later this summer, Sam and I are going to a Hollywood Bowl show with a bunch of amazing bands that I've been completely enjoying lately: TV on the Radio, Warpaint, Panda Bear, and Arctic Monkeys. I'm already too excited about it and need to chill out since it's pretty far away.
Well, all this talk about music, seems like it's about time for a music video...
Here's Motopony's "King of Diamonds"


"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."
-Aldous Huxley

No comments: