Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Another hike at China Flats

(The view looking NorthWest from Simi Peak)

Over the break, I hiked Simi Peak via China Flats trail. I started the hike from the trailhead at King James Court and Lindero Canyon Rd. "Map My Hike" said the hike was about 6 miles round trip and ~1100 ft elevation gain. It was a beautiful day, crystal clear, in the low 80's with gentle breezes. Gotta love LA :)

Rita was my hiking partner... Follow that dog!


There's a little cave you can climb up and sit in:

Click on the panoramas for a better (bigger) view:

 This way...

   Another panorama:


Down into the valley:

Into the shady hallows:




This is one of my favorites; I caught Rita in action. She loves to "pounce."

Rita never goes too far, and stops to wait up for me:





  
We made it!
 

At the top, there is a journal that you can sign in. It's been there since May 2011. I signed a little something in the book. It was fun to read through the fellow hiker's entries.
 
   
You can see all the way to the Channel islands (off the Santa Barbara coast)


We took a slightly different route back down:



   
Wish you were here! :)

2 comments:

china flat said...

Where is it? Good scene. I like your dog. It must be very happy when arrived the top of mountain.

Kristin said...

It's in Oak Park. There are several different entrances. The trailhead I took this time was at Lindero Canyon Rd and King James Court. There is also an entrance off of Hollytree near Kanan Rd.
Rita is the best dog ever.