Thursday, January 12, 2012

2011 recap

2011 recap
This past year was a good year. I've been attempting to eat healthy, working out 3-4 times a week, hiking about every other week, and doing yoga once a week. I've benefited a lot from attempting to be healthier. I've also been keeping up the creativity, mostly by working on the house, but also with other projects like photography, shooting footage for a music video (that still needs to be edited together), and sewing/crocheting projects. I took a bar-tending course with Sam and we have both been enjoying the exploration of a new talent. Despite a recent hiccup with the dogs tearing up our couch, both dogs have been behaving better, hopefully past the "adolescent" stage. I love the neighborhood we live in and I feel at home and at peace with my life. Our neighbors are all such lovely people. We have been invited over for dinner and drinks on several random occasions. We love living in a town with like-minded, creative, "normal" people. It's made me enjoy LA more than ever.
This year I'm hoping to develop my role in the community I live in.... Maybe join a local sports team. Maybe volunteer in a community outreach team or something. Still trying to figure out how I might be of service to the people around me. I've also really enjoyed developing my beliefs about spiritual matters and becoming the person I want to be, doing good things in this life.

Here's a few interesting quotes I've heard over the past few weeks:

Yesterday, my yoga teacher quoted someone (thomas jefferson?) who asked himself: "What good will I do today?" and then at the end of the day, "What good have I done today?" This reminds me to stay in the moment and take things one day at a time.

Also, from the movie Iron Lady, with Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher, which was wonderful... I can't remember the quote exactly, but it was a bit like this:
"Be careful what you think, for your thoughts become your words, and your words become your actions, and your actions become your habits, and your habits become your character."

Anyway, just some thoughts for the new year, and the new day today. :)
And a pretty neat song for your listening pleasure:


No comments: